assorted color kittens

With halloween coming I’m feeling nostalgic with my cats and have been wanting to share how I even started on the path with cats. I’ve never really been a cat person except for one that I fell in love with years ago that only lived a year and died of feline leukemia which was so sad.

Oh we’ve had a lot of cats or the kids did but I just wasn’t attached to any of them until more recently when we had a rat issue and my husband didn’t want to pay for an exterminator. Like I often do, I took the matter into my own hands and got 4 feral cats to do the job or so I thought.

Little did he know this would be the most expensive proposition and he should have just paid for the exterminators. ๐Ÿ˜น๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜ป๐Ÿ˜บ!

This is a little long and will have to be a 3 or 4 part series, but it’s Fun Fri-Yay and this is the day I post whatever is fun for me to chat about. If you don’t like cats, feel free to skip it altogether but if you do, you will appreciate the story I think. I can’t find all of my pictures of when they were little but I’ll be sure to dig them out next week and add them.

4 career cats,
best ratters ever,
one by one โ€œHunterโ€, the hunter chased them off.

Stargazer, (because she stared at me with eyes as big as saucers looking at the sky), Issy shortened from โ€œHissy Wussโ€ because he hissed at me when I came to feed him and was just a wuss, later jumping on my shoulders and head affectionately,
Fia (named after Sophia Loren, so sophisticated and beautiful) and finally Binz ( the big mean Halloween cat) and that he was; All lived like royalty.

I followed all the rules and fed them morning and night in their crates and then 3 1/2 weeks later, let them out as instructed.

Binks took off the first day and never came back.
No love lost there!

The others were soon eating out of the palm of my hand with lots of coaxing, treats, and hours playing.
They came to the sound of a bell but some nights stayed out carousing.

I was devastated because they became my homies.

I built them a barn to keep them safe from coyotes but if you know ferals their motto is:
โ€œDonโ€™t fence me inโ€!

I put signs up in my neighborhood on every corner, knocked on doors and posted them on my local community online paper with no word back.

I spent hours searching and missing them and rejoiced when they would finally come โ€œhomeโ€.

I was told to give them the best food money can buy because that will keep them close.
So much for ratters, they were eating better than me! Never mind I just turned my ratters into family members.
Fia got an infection and the only way I could help was to throw some antibiotics in her food.

Soon she sat on my lap every morning and every night for meditation.

Issy was gone, Star hadnโ€™t been seen and Fia was my last hope. I brought her in one night and why I didnโ€™t keep her there, Iโ€™ll never know.

I spent hours in their barn, crying and calling and finally I was convinced they had another home and was cheating on me.

I put out one last pleading call out on the internet to โ€œlet my cat goโ€ and do you know, Issy showed up that night and it was a reunion I will never forget.

My mother in law was dying at the moment and I was off to visit her with my daughter from New York. Together, we snuggled Issy in the same way as always and rejoiced at her homecoming but alas, she never returned.

Finally I got a call from my neighbor down the street, saying she thought she had my cat.

The build up was huge and sure enough I went to visit and Issy was now Tux 2, named after her cat Tuzy that had run away.

She stole my cat!

I was infuriated and devastated. She said do you want him back?

Dogs have owners, cats have staff and letโ€™s just say he was living like a king in her home and all I had to offer was a barn and tuna fish.

Besides he had a brother named George and they were both living like kings!
How could I break that up?

I hid my anger and gave my blessings but I was sadder than sad.

He was the most loving cat and I had socialized him for all of the time I spent, freezing in the barn in love and awe of his affection. I was there mom and even went out in the dead of the winter with storms to break up cat fights when the neighborhood thugs would try to attack them.

I said farewell but never goodbye. I started writing a book Cat’s Don’t Give a _____ and interviewing people who had cats and found out so many wild stories which was quite entertaining.

By then I got Ollie and Maya because my daughter said โ€œMom, you need โ€œrealโ€ cats whatever that meant but she was right, I needed pets at that point to ease the pain of loosing them.

They were rescued ferals too and one turned out to have feline leukemia and died in my arms at exactly 1 year of age.
I was crushed beyond crushed.

Maya Why a

Why did you come into our lives so short?

I didn’t want another stray; I heard you were coming to stay.

You stole our hearts, and made us laugh, bringing us hope and

Joy playing with your sister Olive and all of your toys.

I thought you would be here โ€œforeverโ€ with all of us who love you but I guess you came to make us remember, that life is short and to savor each moment and care for each other the way we did for you and you for us.

We love you, you little rascal, sweet little girl Maya. Squeaks!

Our hearts will carry you with us wherever we go and if you see Fia or Star or Issy who is probably living as a king somewhere (and in fact he is) give them our love and don’t forget we Love you for always and forever.

Please don’t go!

STAY.

Forever in our ๐Ÿ’•.

Bless you our sweet fur baby

Your days are short now but they have been rich with love and we wouldnโ€™t trade a one of them.

And here is Ollie who you know and Love, who is in the middle of everything. Look how tiny she was and those 3 black dots on her head and came to us as Olive because of that. As you know, she doesn’t have any dots now and we changed her name to Ollie.

Then…..

And Now ……Celebrating “Narnical’s” (my oldest daughter’s) Birthday last weekend.

ALWAYS IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING AS YOU KNOW!

Have a wonderful Fri-Yay and weekending! I am loving life catching my breath this week and back into a normal schedule.

Next week the next remodeling phase starts so I’m soaking up the R & R until then.

See you Monday!

Blessings Always

๐Ÿ’—

Akshita gupta

Your cats are so so cute ๐Ÿ˜ฝ
I’m really sorry not getting enough time to read your posts but finally I’m here. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Akshita gupta

Your welcome๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you, Cindy, for your cats’ saga!

Annette Rochelle Aben

^–^ <3 ^–^

Homemaking in the Dunes

I love cats and my dog knows it. Our Golden hates cats. Feral Cats are interesting. We had a feral cat community at our rental.(The pandemic kept us off the property) It was quite interesting to watch these cats at night hunting, playing with their young. We ended up getting them to a no kill rescue. Thank you for sharing your cat story.

Homemaking in the Dunes

Oh I miss cats, our Golden would terrorize them. We spend every week at the humane society helping animals.

Cats can go away and then suddenly come back without any explanation.

๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ

DEVANG UPADHYAYA

What a sweet post.
I really adore these long reads.
You write with your heart.
Never stop sharing ๐Ÿ˜

DEVANG UPADHYAYA

I always enjoy your work.
It always connects with the heart. โค๏ธ
Fun Friday it is

Thattamma C.G Menon

So stunning photo dear you and carrying two beautiful cats ,so awesome ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜
All catโ€™s photos are lovely ๐Ÿˆโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Such a beautiful Tribute for your cat Maya you wrote
touching heart ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿˆ very sadly you wrote the lines reading time feeling very sad also ๐Ÿ˜ข
Thank you so much for sharing and you are a great Authorโœ๏ธ grace wishes ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ™โ™ฅ๏ธ

Thattamma C.G Menon

Thank you so much for this lovely reply ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒทmy grandchildren
also having cats and they so much loving their pets ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐ŸŒทl also
love cats ๐Ÿˆ Have a Happy Weekend to you dear ๐Ÿ‘โ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thattamma C.G Menon

๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ™โ™ฅ๏ธ๐ŸŒท

kenhume31

Ah Cindy, that story was hilarious; heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time! Cats are funny; independent and regal creatures who know how to look after themselves. It’s amazing how you get attached to them! ๐Ÿ˜

kenhume31

No, they really don’t give a fuck do they?! ๐Ÿ˜‚They’ll come back as long as they still like you and you give them what they want! ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‚

kenhume31

Ha! ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‚ We had a cat when I was a kid who had a fresh dead mouse at the front door footstep every morning!

I empathized with you at every turn of your story Cindy. I adore my Izzy, and serve her to the best of my ability! She is very demanding for my attention. She was adopted from the Humane Society, and I believe by the ways she acted when we first got her that she was abused in her โ€œformer life.โ€ She is not super loving except for maybe 15 minutes every evening when she lies by my leg with her head on my hip. The rest of the time sheโ€™d rather play, eat, or sleep! But she makes me laugh a lot, which makes up for everything else! Have a wonderful, relaxed weekend, my friend! ๐ŸŒž

Izzy has just turned 2. When we first got her, she marked up the furniture with her nails, so now I keep it all covered! This is her house now, not ours! ๐ŸŒž

Happy Friyayyy, Cindy. I am personally more of a dog person but have a deep love for cats too (though I’m allergic to them) so beautiful . “Dogs have owners, cats have staff ” I absolutely agree. Thanks for sharing the adorable pictures. Love them.๐Ÿ’•

Itโ€™s odd. I wasnโ€™t allergic as a kid and have owned many cats. I became allergic out of the blue when I was in college and now I am severely allergic to cats and some dogs. Itโ€™s awful. ๐Ÿฅฒ

Both my dogs are hypoallergenic. Itโ€™s wonderful ๐Ÿ’•

Yes but they are so cute. I absolutely LOVE Hunter, I would hug him even if he brought me allergies, heโ€™s irresistible.๐Ÿ’•

Paula Light

I no longer let my cats outside ~ itโ€™s too dangerous with the coyotes and bad drivers. We just lost my housemateโ€™s kitty this week to kidney failure and itโ€™s so sad ~ she was only nine. Maybe weโ€™ll get another eventually. My kitty seems to have missed her for a day and now heโ€™s apparently forgotten about her. They really do live in our hearts โค๏ธ โค๏ธ

Paula Light

Thank you! Have a great weekend ๐Ÿ’–

Oh, Cindy, what a wonderful post! <3 I loved the tales of stray cats you have befriended. I hear stories of some men, and even some women, behaving that way. ๐Ÿ™‚ Great photos of Ollie! I thoroughly enjoyed the video!

I have had a couple of cats, and loved them, but I never experienced adopting a stray cat. We did adopt a stray dog who lived for fourteen years and was the most loving, loyal, and empathetic dog you could ever wish for. Because Robert and I have allergies, we can no longer have pets, so we watch cat and dog videos nostalgically! ๐Ÿ™‚

Give Ollie a hug for me! Have a great weekend! <3

Here kitty, kitty, kitty. That’s quite the saga of cat stories, Cindy. But did they solve the rat problem? We always had cats when I was growing up but I can’t remember one disappearing on us. I can sure remember when Demon the black cat dropped a littler of kittens on my feet, however, when I was sleeping outside as I did every summer. I woke up with wet feet. That was an eye opener. ๐Ÿ™‚ โ€“Curt

Haha Ollie the attention seeker ๐Ÿ˜‚ What a cutie! So sorry about Maya, that’s so heartbreaking.

Lol as someone who isn’t married I agree ๐Ÿ˜‚

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel

Happy Fri-Yay. Adorable cats, Cindy. Sorry for the ones you’ve lost. Ollie is beautiful and looks quite curious.

You have to love the kitties. Purrfect post.

Quite a cat journey, Cindy. Thanks for sharing your beautiful fur babies and their stories. We’ve rescued and trained a few feral kittens and found them homes. I have to say I’m happy to be cat free right now, but I do miss the snuggles. <3

We’d really like a dog, but I told my husband that Europe has to come first. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tricia Sankey

Enjoyed! I believe our pets do teach us how to love greater and deeper, but alas it’s also shorter and then we learn to let go. Happy Fri-Yay! ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿ’“

Tricia Sankey

๐Ÿ’“

Great post, Cindy!

A wonderful reminder of why I love animals, and why it will be a while before I have another fur baby. A lovely post. Happy weekend, Cindy! ๐Ÿ’–

Girlfriend, what in the kitty cat is going on? And did someone really steal your cat? And thought it was okay? Can you say oops up side yo’ head boys and girls??? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ You have some precious little rascals indeed. So sorry you lost one at a year old. I’m sure that wasn’t easy, especially when the last breath was in your arms. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Loved your adventurous story dawwwwlinkkkkk. It is certainly never a dull moment in your household Cindaaayyyyy, that’s for sure! Have a FANtabulous weekend my dear! Knowing you, you will. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜ปโœจ

Cindy, I am sitting here dying, laughing my butt completely off. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚ You’re a wild and crazy gal I love dearly! Don’t go changin’ to try to please me! LOL Sending you big HUGS and lots of SMOOCHES dawwwwlinkkkkk!!! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜ป

Laleh Chini

I have a 14 year old cat named Sheeba. I know how important our babies are.๐Ÿฅฐโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Laleh Chini

No I havenโ€™t. Maybe I should write a few short stories about my 3 cats in 16 years of my life.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’

Laleh Chini

๐Ÿฅฐ

Great post, Cindy. As you know, I have my own cat stories and have lost so many tamed “feral” cats while living in the country. Now my contrified city cats are confirmed house cats. Dad still looks for ways to spend more money on them. (The catio is next for another story after we figure out how many thousands of dollars we need to spend to give them an “outdoor” experience. LOL. Nutter Butter is still hanging on, but is still skinny as a rail after battling Corona Virus for about two months now – really since March, but he had some healthy months, too. Your fur babies are so beautiful, and you raw emotions echo mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

SMiLes Dear Cindy Such A Lovely HeART

Yellow Boy’s Feline Leukemia Kept Him
Indoors For Years Not to Infect the Neighborhood
Kitties However The Few Instances He Escaped Our

Home There Was A Certain Pain i Felt inside as i Knew
Where His Real Home is And i Also Understand for me too

Thanks For A Real Savior of my Free and Wild SoUL Yellow

Boy Who Brought me Back to the Call of the Wild With Tears of Free…

It’s Been Almost 4 Years Yet i Just Haven’t Had the Heart to Own A
Cat Indoors Nice to See Yours Getting Out Pawing Life Free With SMiLEs

Yet It’s True too i Might Not Have to Experience That HeART Break Again

As We All May Eventually Arrive at an Age Where Our Pets Life Expectancy

Is Naturally Longer Than Ours Now Yet True Oh For The Security of Their Life

After
We
Pass Away
too Love Takes
Care When Real Indeed mY FRiEnD..:)

Furry Warm
Felt Love Lives
On Dear Cindy
In EYes Of
Purrs
And
Tails
Still Wagging
Soul Tales oF LoVEโค๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿค—

Carax&VanNuys

Oh, my. Another cat-person here… And as a reader one can really feel the love you’ve had (= and still have) for all your little ๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ.

Take care, dear Cindy! VVN ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’–

Holly Hunter

Cats are pretty amazing. Iโ€™m a dog person but love cats too. Have a wonderful weekend โค๏ธ

The Sicilian Storyteller

Oh Cindy G.! I love your post and that great video; they’re purr-fect! I can relate with so many things: losing my beloved Casey, a sweetheart with honey-colored fur, to feline leukemia. So sad; he used to wrap himself around my shoulders and fall asleep. All totaled in our 50 years of marriage we have had 18 cats; the most we ever had at one time was 5. They all were different but they all meowed their way into our hearts. Most died of old age but other’s weren’t so lucky. We had one who ate an entire squirrel; that did not sit well. Another went missing one winter and was found frozen a week later. Yet another got into an awful fight one summer and had a massive head would with a terrible infection. He’d put his head on my lap as I changed his dressing and gave him his meds. He knew I was trying to help him and never fought me when I cared for his wounds. He recuperated only to get into another fight the next summer; he didn’t survive that one. Now we have Lucy, a feral rescue. I hoped she would eventually calm down and she has – to a degree. She still has a mean streak a mile long and has drawn blood more times than I can count. I lock her in the basement when Colette is here; nothing is gonna hurt my grand baby! Lucy likes my husband because he feeds her; she doesn’t like me which is sad. I want a cat I can snuggle – not one who’s gonna rip my arm to shreds. I thought about bringing her to the humane society but let’s face it; with her temperament, she’s unadoptable and we both know what that means. So here she will stay until she dies … or I die! Cats. They do have us wrapped around their tails, don’t they? ๐Ÿ˜ธ ๐Ÿ˜ป

The Sicilian Storyteller

My pleasure as always, Cindy! It’s a treat to read you blog and share our thoughts. I appreciate you! ๐Ÿ’• ๐Ÿ˜ฝ

Eugenia

I adore cats! When we lived in Florida, some friends had a kitten that was being tormented by their other cats. They asked us if we wanted the kitten and we said yes. Turned out to be a papered Himalayan cat (Amanda Panda) that cost around $2,000. to buy. They dropped Amanda and her papers off at our house and we had her until she went over the bridge at 19 years old. When we moved to Atlanta, or course, we moved her with us.

When we lost our sweet Amanda, we thought we would take our time in getting another one. A week later on Valentine’s Day, we adopted our new cat. Callie is a feisty 3 year old Tortie and the highlight of our lives.

A house is not a home without a cat or a dog, IMO!๐Ÿ˜ป

literaryscribe

Cats have a way of leaving deep impressions on our lives. They’ve clearly made a very deep one on yours, and that’s wonderful. There are so many twists and turns with furry family members, but they’re always worthwhile. ^_^

literaryscribe

Awww, thanks! When you love someone, you can put up with quite a lot, especially if they are well-meaning and loving right back at you. Hehe.

literaryscribe

Hahahahaha! Nice! ^_^ I know that feeling, all too well. A few times, though, my own kitty has found ways to sneak out or into rooms.

literaryscribe

Hahaha. Same here!

literaryscribe

^_^

literaryscribe

Fun friday and weekend… Fun is bottomless here. xoxo

Skinny what!? No not me! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Youโ€™re too funny, lady dearest. Too funny
Bless your lovely heart.

Yes ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ laugh lines are very becoming. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

In Israel, there are stray cats everywhere… so people who want to have a cat as a pet need only find a kitten, take it to a vet for shots, etc., and then adopt it… there’s no lack of them here!

Cats are needy animals…they are in need attention always

Yup…we can zoom today as well ..it’s been really long we connected ๐Ÿ˜… I have been adjusting to new life and busy sleeping in the remaining time

You send me a link when you wake up….I am bad with zoom๐Ÿฅบ

Okay..I’ll send you one..just message when you are up๐Ÿ˜…

What a beautiful story on your cats! It shows your love and emotions for them, both sad and happy. I have seen cats are somewhat different from other pets. Pics are so lovely. I liked your naming and renaming them.
One of my friends has five cats, and sometimes other cats from the building also join them, and count becomes six. On some days, he is left with four only, and then he starts searching. That’s a good pastime for him.
Have a great weekend, Cindy ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ™

I had not thought of that perspective, but the friend I talked about has only one son, who has also gone abroad. But I find there are other friends also, who have adopted pets for the sake of children. So it also depends on your own choice and liking. So enjoy their soothing company. ๐Ÿ˜บ ๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿ’–

๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฅ€๐Ÿ™

Such a loving memory of your sweet cats ๐Ÿฑ Iโ€™m anxious to hear the rest of the story . ๐Ÿฑโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜น๐Ÿ˜ฟ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’•

Maria

I love your cats ๐Ÿฑ
They are cute but they mess up everything.

aparna12
aparna12

Wow. It’s very heart touching, dear Cindy. We also had cats visiting us. They were very disciplined because I and my mom-in-law used to pour milk for them in a special saucer. Unfortunately, I was in a shock after watching my favorite cat being mauled to death by four crazy stray dogs. I was so helpless. But I love all the animals in general.

aparna12
aparna12

โ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š. Thank you so much for your kind words, dear Cindy. Have a fantastic weekend๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ ๐ŸŽ‰.

trackback

[…] Source: Ratters or Cats on Fun Fri-Yay? […]

MARY

โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

What interesting and some sad adventures you have had with your cats. I am glad you still have one to love. Ollie looks like a great cat! Hope she stays around a long time!

:>)

Cindy your cats are beautiful. What a tragic and a lovely story. Thanks a lot. Have a great week ahead ๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

You are most welcome dear Cindy โค๏ธโค๏ธ

โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

I enjoyed this post, Cindy, and it gave me some relief from my feelings of guilt over my last cat, who I had to leave in Slovenia and subsequently ran away. He was always semi-feral and I guess this is what they doโ€ฆI am definitely a mad cat lady ๐Ÿคฃโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ป

LOL – spam fritters all round ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ’–

North Omaha Writers Group

๐Ÿ˜ญprecious babies I canโ€™t imagine losing any member of the family Cindy Bless your heart and Blessings Flow im allergic to Cats really bad my eyes will crust over but they are so cute and cuddly. My grandmother had a kitten we had to give away. My mom grew up with cats around her cat name was Dummy ๐Ÿคฃ he was super smart though. He would kill snakes, birds, rodents and bring them and sit them by the front door so my grandmother could see them like showing her look mom look what I Did my grandmother said he was so proud. Dummy was Dummy because he basically thought he was a dog. He was very Smart. He had Nine adventurous lives and he lived them to the fullest till the very end. I๐Ÿ’›Felines. ๐Ÿˆโ€โฌ›

North Omaha Writers Group

My grandmother hated when Dummy killed things and brought them to her most times the stuff he brought to her wasnโ€™t even dead she would make him let it go with a few explicits. she just didnโ€™t know what he would bring next he was a indoor /outdoor cat. He came and went like he paid bills he probably had a whole different family that cared for him who knows.

North Omaha Writers Group

The story of Dummy is older than than I Am I never met Dummy but feel like I have like a family member lost Iโ€™m sure you will always have your fur baby memory close to your heart.

Such wonderful words and pictures Cindy. Sending love and hugs to you. Have a great week ahead.

My pleasure hon. Donโ€™t worry about. I know you are busy. Love you too ๐ŸŒบโค๏ธ๐ŸŒน

da-AL

wonderful post! cats are the best!!!

I hear u

Every event of present makes nostalgic

I hear u